Advertising boards

Here you can talk about wanted and upcoming game features

Moderators: Moderator, Programmer

Razvanica
Member of the Soccer Project Association

Advertising boards

Post by Razvanica »

I propose to eliminate this feature. It brings nothing to the game (only messages that boards are available from time to time). 3 or 4 seasons ago maybe they were adding some extra-value to the budget but now there are never enough boards (I have 10 boards on my stadium and 6 of them are available. There are only 4 proposals and the most profitable one would bring me 10.500 for 22 days).
So, if this feature can not be transformed into something interesting, I don't see any reason to keep it.
Harder, better, faster, stronger
Black_eagle

Re: Advertising boards

Post by Black_eagle »

the fact that there are not enough doesnt mean that they bring no value.i have 15 and i take everything available(even the ones on 44 days) but this season i never had more then 13 filled.but at the end of the season you see that the income from advenrtising boards is 1.5 milion and that is quite good i say.this is a very stupid idea.of course in lower divisions and small stadiums you wont make that much but that doesnt mean we all have to suffer.why wont you take the ones on 22 days? isnt it better then keeping the board empty?
Razvanica

Post by Razvanica »

I don't take it today because tomorrow I will be in E and it would bring an extra 1000 or so :lol:

But that's not the point. The feature is really useless. The sum you are talking about (1.5 mils) was measured 3 seasons ago, when you could find boards with 100k for 5 days. Now everything is at the same price. And let's take an example from F division. Let's say you have 15 places and they are always filled with boards (not realistic). If the boards are available for 10 days, you will get 6*15*10500 = 945.000. If the avarage availabilty is not 10 days, but 20 days, your season income would be half of that (~470.000). I would say that the system implemented today is even worse than this second case and I really don't believe that any F team (or even teams in higher divisions) have an income from advertising that goes over 350k. Of course, you can argue that even 350k is better than nothing but this doesn't make the feature usefull.
Black_eagle

Post by Black_eagle »

Razvanica wrote:I don't take it today because tomorrow I will be in E and it would bring an extra 1000 or so :lol:

But that's not the point. The feature is really useless. The sum you are talking about (1.5 mils) was measured 3 seasons ago, when you could find boards with 100k for 5 days. Now everything is at the same price. And let's take an example from F division. Let's say you have 15 places and they are always filled with boards (not realistic). If the boards are available for 10 days, you will get 6*15*10500 = 945.000. If the avarage availabilty is not 10 days, but 20 days, your season income would be half of that (~470.000). I would say that the system implemented today is even worse than this second case and I really don't believe that any F team (or even teams in higher divisions) have an income from advertising that goes over 350k. Of course, you can argue that even 350k is better than nothing but this doesn't make the feature usefull.
no that is actually from 2 seasons ago,when things were still pretty bad.eny way i dont think that enyone else will even think about your idea so i wont argue with you eny more.and you are right about one thing.even if it brings me 100 k per season i would still want it.tomorow i wil tel you how i did last season when things were pretty much like they are now.and it is just like in real life.sponspors are not easy to find and they give you very little money.so this makes SP more realistic
Razvanica

Post by Razvanica »

Talking about realism... In RL sponsors pay great amounts of money to a team, not 200k (which is like the bonus for victory in one match in my case). I know that nobody will agree with my idea, but my point was that something should be done about this feature because keeping it like it is today makes no sense (but then again, nobody cares about that so obviously nothing will be done).
SBroccoli

Post by SBroccoli »

You're mistaken. I agree with you: if this is how it is going to run, we might as well abolish it all together and eliminate that small part of the inflation.

Or else create some more challenging. Like negotiated adds at not prefixed values.

I would like to see it offer marginal advantages to carefull and active managers just as other parts of the game does. Atm. it's just routine work.

PS: since I expanded my stadion to hold 15 boards, I have had only 6 or 7 available all the time. And the duration has increased a lot. Might there be any connection?
Currently playing in D11
FC The White Caps fan
Fallen.Cze
Team President

Post by Fallen.Cze »

My solution :arrow: more boards - lower prices
zandyy
Team Manager

Post by zandyy »

How about tying availability of advertising board to performance? Form WWWWW means all your boards have offers, form LLLLL means you get no offers at all. This makes it closer to reality and creates a new challenge.
Sjarel

Post by Sjarel »

zandyy wrote:How about tying availability of advertising board to performance? Form WWWWW means all your boards have offers, form LLLLL means you get no offers at all. This makes it closer to reality and creates a new challenge.
Obviously the advertising boards have beem bothering a lot of managers lately, but this is the first time I see a new idea with potential about this. I don't like abandoning the feature and I can't simply insert extra money into the game. But making the advertisers dependant on your results makes sense.
SoccerProject: Can you manage it ?
SBroccoli

Post by SBroccoli »

Well, the idea is a fresh one, but you have to consider the effects.

If a losing streak causes advertisers to stay away, it becomes a slippery slope because then you will have a harder time getting transfers.

I still think my own suggestion was better, but wth. :P
Currently playing in D11
FC The White Caps fan
spootytown
Team Board Member

Post by spootytown »

I don't think that makes sense.

Ad boards aren't set by results, they are set by the league, stadium size, long term reputation, and fan base.

For example, look at England. In the top division, the worst team is currently Tottenham, a very large club in London who play many matches against globally highly popular teams (Arsenal, Manchester United, Liverpool) in their league, as well as in UEFA cup, selling 36,000+ seats per match. Next worst is Newcastle, who play in a 52,000 seat stadium.

In the division 2, Wycombe leads the league, playing in front of just over 5000 fans per home match. Next best is Brentford, who don't usually draw 5000 supporters to their matches.

If you were Nike, who would you want to give your ad boards to? Even if they don't win another match, more people will attend (or see on TV) Tottenham or Newcastle than Wycombe or Brentford. I would guess many fans outside of England know the clubs Tottenham and Newcastle, but have never heard of even most of the best division 2 squads.

In real life, sponsors want their ads to be seen by as many people as possible. If there are enough eyeballs to see the ad, there will be ads. It is that simple. A team that never wins but attracts 20,000 fans will always have more ads than an undefeated team that only attracts 5,000.

If you want it more realistic, keep the ad boards as they are (small money at various durations), but introduce (only) at the beginning of the season a season-long sponsor or sponsors for higher money. Think of it like a shirt sponsor, scoreboard advertising, or naming rights to the stadium (like Arsenal at the Emirates or Bayern Munich at Allianz). Let that payment reflect fan base, the stadium size, the division, and then maybe last years performance (were you relegated/promoted for example). At the end of the season, the sponsors will decide if their investment was a good one (did fan base increase, were you promoted, etc.), and will increase or decrease their offer for the following season.
killer1982
Assistant Manager

Post by killer1982 »

let's not get too hung up on real life comparisons. In real life I can't buy Chelsea and then start buying the best players. However, in Soccer Project we all start on an equal footing and part of the fun is to see if you can work your way up the ranks. To do that you need income so you can gradully buy better players and afford to retain the good ones you have.

In this respect advertising boards play a role and they are already differentiated according to division, and though I agree it doesn't fully correspond to a real life scenario, I think it is well and good. That being said, I agree that it should be related to performance
spootytown
Team Board Member

Post by spootytown »

But ad boards ARE already tied to success. Get promoted, you get more money for your boards. Get relegated, you get less money.

I don't think anyone has given a good argument for why adding yet another layer tied to short term performance (which you agree does not reflect reality) is a good idea, or improves the ad board frustrations that Sjarel acknowledges. As a soccer sim, shouldn't we try to move toward, and not away from, realism where possible?
SBroccoli

Post by SBroccoli »

The point of the OP still stands, though: it's senseless how it works at the moment.

For the past month or so it's been impossible for me to get more than 6-7 boards in average. There are offers up to 8, buy they are mostly in the range of 20-40 days.
Currently playing in D11
FC The White Caps fan
Werder_fan
Team Manager

Post by Werder_fan »

If a manager increases the places in the stadium,more slots for advertising boards become available.Now this is no stimulous any more,bacause only a very limited range of the slots can actually be used.This is the reason why another way of encouragement for stadium expansion should be introdused in place of the at the moment not valid"more seats,more advertising board slots"feature.

Return to “Requested / Upcoming features”