Searching players... (transfer)

Here you can talk about wanted and upcoming game features

Moderators: Moderator, Programmer

rood
Team President

Post by rood »

They just don't want to "read" that Poll, Pipkin!
Pure and simple! :wink: :lol:

It's relevant enough for them!
:D
It is physically impossible for PIGS, to look up into the sky!
robborover
Member of the Soccer Project Association

Post by robborover »

rood wrote:It was mentioned so many times. Briefly - Chance to find a hidden talent somewhere deen on TL is stronly lowered with filter. Sure, one manager cant buy them all but these (now hidden) players will by seen by more rich managers so their price will rise rapidly.
the basic rule of economics is that inflation occurs when demand exceeds supply. ie: there are too many players. filters would not create more players and would give a more balanced economy as managers with less time would still be able to compete with those with enough time to search all the pages.
PipkiN

Post by PipkiN »

robborover wrote:
rood wrote:It was mentioned so many times. Briefly - Chance to find a hidden talent somewhere deen on TL is stronly lowered with filter. Sure, one manager cant buy them all but these (now hidden) players will by seen by more rich managers so their price will rise rapidly.
the basic rule of economics is that inflation occurs when demand exceeds supply. ie: there are too many players. filters would not create more players and would give a more balanced economy as managers with less time would still be able to compete with those with enough time to search all the pages.
No, it will rapidly decrease the chance of buying a great player by low division team. Second thing is that worse players will be unsellable (too much aggression, too low skills)
The majority is against, so I think there are only a few persons willing to add this. However it won't be added, especially because Sjarel does not surely want to lower traffic on his servers.. ;)
playing in C2
Turnaj Slaná baterka
robborover

Post by robborover »

not if you reduce the amount of money within the game!

that's why they reduced the sanmax banners again!
modes98's revenge
Team President

Post by modes98's revenge »

PipkiN wrote: No, it will rapidly decrease the chance of buying a great player by low division team. Second thing is that worse players will be unsellable (too much aggression, too low skills)
The majority is against, so I think there are only a few persons willing to add this. However it won't be added, especially because Sjarel does not surely want to lower traffic on his servers.. ;)
How will it? It is about resources, if you have the money you get the player.

Whats the likelyhood of an E team getting a top youth against A league managers who are experienced at finding these gems. If anything it'll mean that the game has a much more even level. Afterall new teams thesedays get so much protection it's unreal. There is no harsh reality of the more experienced managers taking their cash and making them respect the value of the €.

I would also assume that sjarel doesn't want the game running at a crawl, which is increasingly happening.
Michal Kejchal
Team Board Member

Post by Michal Kejchal »

modes98's revenge wrote: How will it? It is about resources, if you have the money you get the player.
Whats the likelyhood of an E team getting a top youth against A league managers who are experienced at finding these gems. If anything it'll mean that the game has a much more even level. Afterall new teams thesedays get so much protection it's unreal. There is no harsh reality of the more experienced managers taking their cash and making them respect the value of the €.
I would also assume that sjarel doesn't want the game running at a crawl, which is increasingly happening.
Please, can you tell us which kind of protection of new teams do you mean? What is unreal? To be honest I have no idea :o
Sure, likelyhood of getting a top youth against A league managers isnt high but there is a chance. Why to lower it?
Experienced managers are rich its ok (im wishing :wink: ) But why do you think that the best untrained players have to be served to them on a golden plate?
I also want to appeal to everybody who use "majority opinion" argument (or what Sjarel should do). Dont be lazy majority can be wrong. Try to bring some new ideas!
Last edited by Michal Kejchal on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rood
Team President

Post by rood »

As Michal said…what’s so “unreal”? Where’s your point?
The same with “the game running at a crawl, which is increasingly happening”?!!? Can’t see the crawling part. You might want to “enlighten” us a bit.

@robborover
You said “ a more balanced economy as managers with less time would still be able to compete with those with enough time to search all the pages”
Well they better “make” some time. The internet is about traffic, and traffic means time spent on a specific website. This game is free, but the authors must have a reward for the time and work they put in this project. And this is their recompense. So simple!

@Pipkin
“However it won't be added, especially because Sjarel does not surely want to lower traffic on his servers.. ” ….I hope you are right!!! :wink:

Good luck everybody
robborover

Post by robborover »

rood wrote:@robborover
You said “ a more balanced economy as managers with less time would still be able to compete with those with enough time to search all the pages”
Well they better “make” some time. The internet is about traffic, and traffic means time spent on a specific website. This game is free, but the authors must have a reward for the time and work they put in this project. And this is their recompense. So simple!
Please don't be patronising. I know what traffic is. And I work in IT... I would also say that the internet is more about hits as they make the money from advertising, but that is another topic.

Sjarel et al make this game as a hobby and they do a really good job. This thread is simply for better ideas/improvements and the only argument against filters is that the Czech community do not like it. That's fine, but it doesn't really contribute to the discussion or improve the game.

The strongest argument for filters is that there is a minimum 30 minute simulation every 4 hours, and that there are often over 30 or so pages to sift through. It is very unpractical to users without some kind of filter (other than to sort rows ascending/descending).
modes98's revenge
Team President

Post by modes98's revenge »

Michal Kejchal wrote: Please, can you tell us which kind of protection of new teams do you mean?

What is unreal? To be honest I have no idea :o

Sure, likelyhood of getting a top youth against A league managers isnt high but there is a chance. Why to lower it?

But why do you think that the best untrained players have to be served to them on a golden plate?

Dont be lazy majority can be wrong.
When i joined the only block on new manager activity was that no transfers could be done for the first week. Now most aspects are capped or blocked. This isn't a bad thing in theory but gives new managers time to get into the game and not be subjected to the real life threat of more experienced people taking advantage of newbies. Granted this still happens but on a much smaller scale, which can't be picked up upon.

Unreal: When you start up a business, and lets not foget a football club is a business, do the autorities say to the big companies 'Oh these companies are new so you can't try to put them out of business' or rip them off as they don't know the market? It's a free world and users shoudl make there own mistakes just like we had to when we started.

A managers know exactly what they are looking for with younger players, i doubt that introducing a filter, which will help newer players find players they want, is going to change that in anyway, shape or form. It will encourage them to get into the market more and give them a better understanding of players/the market.

I'm not fussy a silver plate will do, but seriously they still have to know what they are looking for to find them it doesn't make it that much easier. It just gives the user more control over the information they request.

I'm sure that a majority can be wrong, unless you want a dictatorship? The games about progression and people have ideas about which way they want things to go. Just because the Czech forum don't agree with us doesn't mean that your right.

I also don't see as the top teams are going to get any more money in their transfer budgets so why would they start buying every single half decent youth on the market?
Michal Kejchal
Team Board Member

Post by Michal Kejchal »

robborover wrote: Sjarel et al make this game as a hobby and they do a really good job. This thread is simply for better ideas/improvements and the only argument against filters is that the Czech community do not like it. That's fine, but it doesn't really contribute to the discussion or improve the game.
Are you serious? If yes then I probably live in a parallel word. Yeah! Its easier to be personal than to argue... :roll:
robborover wrote: The strongest argument for filters is that there is a minimum 30 minute simulation every 4 hours, and that there are often over 30 or so pages to sift through. It is very unpractical to users without some kind of filter (other than to sort rows ascending/descending).
Yep the strongest and the only one!
In my opinion - idea of filter saveing a time is an illusion. It only extends a nuber of possibilities how to search for a player on TL. Average manager will spend the same amount of time on serching at the end. But...one thing changes...it will be easier to find untrained talents... :?
robborover

Post by robborover »

Michal Kejchal wrote:Its easier to be personal than to argue...
i think you mis-interpret my use of the word 'argument'. An argument (in the context of my posts) means a line of thought not to get personal or be aggressive.
Michal Kejchal wrote:But...one thing changes...it will be easier to find untrained talents...
it won't be easier because you cannot guarantee how good an untrained player will be! and you cannot see the hidden skill either. you'll never know what that variable will be without owning the player.

i am thinking more along the lines of finding a good player in your price range and the skills you would like. a team in h would be better off buying 3 77% gr players than one 88% player. this would improve the chances of finding and selling players who are not the highest rated.
Michal Kejchal
Team Board Member

Post by Michal Kejchal »

modes98's revenge wrote:When i joined the only block on new manager activity was that no transfers could be done for the first week. Now most aspects are capped or blocked. This isn't a bad thing in theory but gives new managers time to get into the game and not be subjected to the real life threat of more experienced people taking advantage of newbies. Granted this still happens but on a much smaller scale, which can't be picked up upon.
In real life you are also being introduce step by step to "the rules of life" (parents, school, first girlfriend...). So its same here as in reality. Ok, its protection but not an advantage in a sense "to gain something".
modes98's revenge wrote:Unreal: When you start up a business, and lets not foget a football club is a business, do the autorities say to the big companies 'Oh these companies are new so you can't try to put them out of business' or rip them off as they don't know the market? It's a free world and users shoudl make there own mistakes just like we had to when we started.
And who says that? Money do it automatically. But now they have a chance to search in "a shadow of dark corners" away from main interest.
modes98's revenge wrote:A managers know exactly what they are looking for with younger players, i doubt that introducing a filter, which will help newer players find players they want, is going to change that in anyway, shape or form. It will encourage them to get into the market more and give them a better understanding of players/the market.
To know what are you looking for is a good point. But you have to know how to find it! Price is defined by supply and demand. And on SP - players price depends on how many managers see him. Implement filter - increase number of managers seen a player - increase price - simple.
modes98's revenge wrote:I'm not fussy a silver plate will do, but seriously they still have to know what they are looking for to find them it doesn't make it that much easier. It just gives the user more control over the information they request.
Its much more easier after, question of few seconds.
modes98's revenge wrote:I'm sure that a majority can be wrong, unless you want a dictatorship? The games about progression and people have ideas about which way they want things to go. Just because the Czech forum don't agree with us doesn't mean that your right.
I have never wrote anything like "majority wants..." so why this unfair note? I wrote the same as you why you offend me? Ok, Im czech and Im trying to discuss (its really difficult sometimes :? )
modes98's revenge wrote:I also don't see as the top teams are going to get any more money in their transfer budgets so why would they start buying every single half decent youth on the market?
Its not about "every single half decent youth". Try to read us attentively.
Michal Kejchal
Team Board Member

Post by Michal Kejchal »

robborover wrote: i think you mis-interpret my use of the word 'argument'. An argument (in the context of my posts) means a line of thought not to get personal or be aggressive.
You wrote: "This thread is simply for better ideas/improvements and the only argument against filters is that the Czech community do not like it."
Its up to everybody to think if its true or not.
robborover wrote:it won't be easier because you cannot guarantee how good an untrained player will be! and you cannot see the hidden skill either. you'll never know what that variable will be without owning the player.
i am thinking more along the lines of finding a good player in your price range and the skills you would like. a team in h would be better off buying 3 77% gr players than one 88% player. this would improve the chances of finding and selling players who are not the highest rated.
Well, I know what do you mean but I was talking about really promising players (hidden and main skills about 90 or over) being hidden deep in the transfer list. Its not offen but it happens that you buy him for a good (low) price. With filter - they will appear on the first page.
rood
Team President

Post by rood »

@robborover

1. I am not patronizing (if you don’t mind!) at all!
2. You working in IT does not impressing me much. I’m an engineer myself. If you have the sensation that you belong to a superior “cast” that’s extremely wrong.
3. I was fighting the idea, not the person. That’s what a forum is. If you take this personal that’s your problem.
4. I am not Czech. I like the Czech community but I’m not one of them.
5. This is not about communities… it’s about leagues, budgets and transfers. You can always try another community to see their opinion. But I guess you know the results already. :wink:

Regards.
rafsalman
Assistant Manager

Post by rafsalman »

I'd agree there has to be some way of getting the search results down to a reasonable number, even something like setting a max transfer listing value or maximum current wage. As the game grows it will have to happen as the searches are going to crawl as both the volume of searches and volume of players for sale grows.

This way as a new player I can get a feel for the game without making one of those fatal mistakes - by looking at the list it's easy to see how a newbie would get confused and bid a silly amount for a player. No wonder you are prevented from bidding in week 1!

Return to “Requested / Upcoming features”